Unlike food allergies, food intolerance is not life-threatening, but it can be too stressful for patients. With the number of different foods arriving in the market, there are more intolerances in Europe each year. There can be different types and different causes of food intolerances, and we will help you know about the major causes of food intolerance.
Not much evidence has been found about why you find more intolerances in Europe each year, but one of the biggest reasons can be the usage of different food chemicals in the process of food manufacturing, especially junk food.
So, let’s delve deeper into the topic, and let’s know about the major causes of food intolerance:
- Some chemicals in the food can cause food intolerance like the amines in cheese and caffeine in coffee and tea. The simple reason for more intolerances in Europe each year is that certain regions and people are more susceptible than others.
- Some food may also have naturally occurring toxins that can be dangerous to humans. For example, if you consume undercooked beans, it may have aflatoxins, which can be extremely harmful.
- Histamine in certain food items can be another leading cause of food intolerance. For example, if fish has not been stored properly, it may have an accumulation of histamine, which can be life-threatening for humans when consumed.
- The presence of salicylates is another leading cause of food intolerance in European people every year. Although many people don’t get any adverse effect after consuming this plant-based chemical, but often some proportion of the population face food intolerance.
- Food additives and colors can be another cause of food intolerance for some people.
The best treatment for food intolerance is to avoid the food completely or eat them less and in smaller quantities. Thus, choose your food wisely and look at different symptoms in the case of food intolerance. This way, you can easily avoid the food intolerance problem.